Day 305.365 – Yoghurt Pot Cake
This cake is inspired by an episode of Nigellissima. I love the way she cooks. This looked simple enough to make and is very fragrant with heady aroma of lemon zest. It’s a Italian cake with the local name of Ciambella. Well, I need to be in Italy to really experience what this cake is like, someday…
You can use a 150 ml Yoghurt pot for all measurements, hence the name.
150 ml yoghurt (1 pot)
250 gms sugar (2 pot)
150 ml vegetable oil (1 pot)
175 gms of flour + 75 gms of cornstarch (2 pots) I used all flour
zest of 1/2 of a lemon
1 tsp vanilla
1. Grease a ring pan or can use a bundt pan. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Separate the eggs, and whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt till soft peaks form. Set aside.
3. In another pan whisk the egg yolks and add the pot of yogurt. Add the sugar and whisk till light and airy.
4. Now add the vegetable oil to egg yolk mixture while continuing whisking. Add the lemon zest and vanilla.
5. Add the flour and whisk together lightly. Now slowly add the egg white, adding a tablespoon first and mixing gently. Add the remaining egg white and mix together carefully not to lose any of the airiness of the egg whites.
6. Pour the mixture into the greased pan. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Let it cool in the pan for sometime, before demoulding it. Serve with a drizzle of icing sugar and chopped fresh fruits, like I did here with strawberries.