Granola is an epitome of versatility, literally any kind of the nuts and dry fruits can make this a breakfast favourite cereal, which is both unique and delicious. I usually make a batch of Granola when there’s left over nuts and dry fruits which needs to be utilized. Make a batch and enjoy with some yogurt or milk and honey, and you have breakfast in a jiffy. This recipe is super easy and really the most effort I had to put in was in chopping the nuts and fruits, which is really important here, as smaller they are you get more in a spoonful.
Recipe – Versatile Granola
This recipe works really well with most of the nuts, substitute with any of the nuts and dry fruits, use all or a combination.
2/3 cup nuts – use a combination, leave out in case you don’t have any, use another nut to substitute – Almonds, walnut, pistachios, sunflower seeds, chopped
1/2 cup of raisins – any type, black or golden raisins will do fine
1/2 cup of sesame and / or flax seeds
2/3 cup dried fruits like cranberry, apricots or a mix of both, chopped
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup desiccated coconut or dried coconut flakes
1. Combine oil, honey, sugar, vanilla and salt. Heat gently, and stir till sugar is dissolved.
2. In a large bowl mix together the rolled oats and nuts.
3. Combine the oil, honey mix to the oats. Mix well till there are no dry spots.
4. Lay the mix evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Try to spread as thinly as possible.
5. In a 175 degrees C oven bake for 15 – 20 mins. Stir them once every 5 mins keeping a watchful eye. I have already burnt one of the batches. Just when they are golden switch of the oven.
6. Let cool and add in chopped dried fruits. Store in a airtight jar.